[R] 300 dpi and eps:

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:52:08 CET 2010

On 12/15/2010 09:31 AM, Philipp Pagel wrote:

>> Everything works fine to place them in a pdf file , or eps file, but
>> when it comes to have a high quality of 300 dpi these graphs are not
>> good. For example I open the eps file with Adobe Illustrator (AI)
>> and it shows that it is a 72dpi graph.
>
> This is simply not true: it's an eps and thus of essentually infinite
> resolution for all practial purposes.

Just to clarify this: eps / ps are vector formats - i.e. it says in the
file "draw a line from point x to point y". In contrast, bmp (and e.g.
jpg, png, tiff) are raster formats: in these formats save the PICTURE of
the line from point x to y.
Consequently, only raster formats have dpi ("dots" per inch).

> So your problem is not with
> the R-generated eps but somewhere downstream from that. Any
> postprocessing, conversion or editing?

Or in Adobe illustrator? It strikes me, that 72dpi is usually the screen
resolution.

Cheers,

Rainer

> cu