[R] Installing R-packages in Windows

Erik Lukac erikl at phonetik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Dec 14 23:48:20 CET 2010

Hi Mike, Hi Uwe,

thanks for your reply.
The main thing is that we have mixed OSs. On the one hand we have Linux,
on the other WinXP. I need the same version of packages and R on both
systems. Otherwise I cant explain my colleagues why error messages are
reproduceable on only one system.
Installing by compiling the .tar.gz-files does work on Linux, but not on
Win because make is not avaivable :( I already tried.

The disadvantage of install.packages is (if I am not right tell me
please), that the package is only installed for the local user (and its
home-Directory ) who is using R at the moment. In my case I need to
install for all local users. Is there a way to do that automated with
install.packages ?

I might think about Uwe's proposal to install the latest R with the
latest packages.  But there's still that problem with installing for ALL
users :S
I am unable to do that - even if I can use a local repo.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Erik