[R] How to ignore data

Steve Sidney sbsidney at mweb.co.za
Mon Dec 13 18:42:47 CET 2010

Thanks for the questions.

1) The data represents micro-organism counts and a count of zero in
this case is highly unlikely given the info we have; including the other
participants.
2) The data is submitted in duplicate and then a standardised sum and
difference is established and is used to calculate a Z-score which is
used as a measure of performance.

Given both 1) and 2) it is necessary to exclude a raw count of zero
(since the log of 0 is meaningless) and a count of one (since the log of
1 of course is zero).

I guess one can think of these values as outliers and that is what I am
trying to exclude.

There is ample evidence that such an approach is acceptable.

Thanks for the interest
Steve