[R] legend not appearing in Word document

Tim Clark mudiver1200 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 14:59:01 CET 2010

I need help with using graphics in Word 2007 that will later be converted into a
pdf document.  I have tried several formats and found that I get the best
quality of graphics using .wmf, .eps format, but when I convert it to .pdf I get
a bunch of lines across the figures.  I also tried .tiff and .png but they give
me much lower quality.  The best quality that converts to pdf appears to be
.eps.  However, I have now come across a problem with my figure legends.  For
some reason the legend is visible in R but not in Word.  Does anyone know why a
legend in .eps format won't work in Word, or how I can get it to work?  I have
made an example of the legend below that you should be able to save as .eps and
paste into Word as an example.  I would appreciate any help you can offer on
getting the legend in .eps format to work, or on other formats that may be
better for Word and pdf files.

Thanks,

Tim

      library(plotrix)
      Satelite.Palette <-
colorRampPalette(c("blue3","cyan","aquamarine","yellow","orange","red"))
      mycol<-Satelite.Palette(ceiling(5000+1))#Max relative angle multiplied by
100 to give larger range.  Max is 3.1415, rounded up to 3.15 plus one.
      col.labels<-round((seq(0,5000,length.out=5)/1000),1)
      plot(0, 0, type="n", axes=F, xlab="", ylab="")   #New plot for legend
      color.legend(0,0,1,1,col.labels, mycol, align="rb", gradient="y")   #Adds
legend

 Tim Clark
Marine Ecologist
National Park of American Samoa