[R] X11 --> Wayland under Ubuntu WAS: Re: RGL crashes

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 13:02:28 CET 2010

On 12/09/2010 12:53 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 5:52 AM, Matthew Dowle wrote:
>> Weyland is the project to remove X11 from Linux.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server)
>>
>> Ubuntu chiefs have said they support Weyland and aim to include it
>> in the next release (April 2011 == version 11.04 == Natty Narwhal).
>>
>> Fedora developers apparenly said that they are likely to adopt
>> Weyland too.
>>
>> I don't know if packages in R such as rgl would need changing to
>> work with Weyland, or perhaps R itself, if at all. However it seems
>> that Linux is moving away from X11.
>
> If X11 calls aren't supported in Wayland, then rgl won't work there. The
> Wayland people will need to write a replacement for the glx interface to
> OpenGL, and an rgl user will need to write the code to use this in rgl
> (i.e. equivalents of the x11gui.* and x11lib.* files in the rgl
> sources).  rgl is designed to work on multiple systems (currently
> Windows, Cocoa in OSX, and X11), but it's not trivial to implement a new
> one.

While we are at X11 and Wayland - are there any other aspects of R which
would need to be rewritten or adapted? I guess, a new graphic device
might be necessary?

It might be an important exercise to find this out as it will be
relevant for all the Ubuntu users in the medium future (probably earlier?)

I send this to the r-sig-debian as well, as it might be more relevant where.

Rainer

> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> Mentioned it here because the issue in this thread appears to be
>> X11 specific. X11's days seem to be numbered if I understand
>> correctly.
>>
>> Matthew
>>

>> "Duncan Murdoch"<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:4CFFCA13.7070503 at gmail.com...
>>>
>>> I hope those names mean something to Rainer, because they mean
>>> nothing to
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch

> That's what I fear as well - could you give me any tips on how to
> proceed to identify the problem?

> Rainer

- --

email:      Rainer at krugs.de