[R] How can I change the longitude scale on the plotMap() PBSmapping package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 8 15:10:39 CET 2010

You cannot, plotMap() decides things for you. For more flexibility than:

polys <- data.frame(PID=rep(1,4), POS=1:4, X=c(0,1,1,0), Y=c(0,0,1,1))
plotMap(polys, xlim=c(-.5,1.5), ylim=c(-.5,1.5), projection="LL")

from the help page, consider trying:

library(sp)
library(maptools)
sp_polys <- PolySet2SpatialPolygons(as.PolySet(polys, projection="LL"),
close_polys=TRUE)
plot(sp_polys, xlim=c(-.5,1.5), ylim=c(-.5,1.5), axes=TRUE)

Also consider following up on the R-sig-geo list.

Roger

Fabio Caltabellotta wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I am using the package PBSmapping and I have a question on the fuction
> plotMap:
>

> How can I change the longitude scale on data(worldLLhigh)? I changed
> the coordinates of ylim () and xlim () on the function plotMap to plot
> my study area. I would like to plot the Brazilian coastline that goes
> from the latitude -26.0°S to -21.0°S and longitude from -48.0°W to
> -45.0°W. However how can I change the scale value of xlim ranging from
> 312.0 to 315.0 for the scale of longitude 48.0W-and-45.0W to the same
> area?. Can anyone help me?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --
> Fabio Prior Caltabellotta, M.Sc.
> Doutorando em Zoologia - Campus Botucatu
> Universidade Estadual Paulista "Júlio de Mesquita Filho" - UNESP
> Laboratório de Pesquisa em Elasmobrânquios
> http://lattes.cnpq.br/2735351775616389
> End: Praça Infante Dom Henrique s/n - Parque Bitarú
> 11330-150 - São Vicente-SP, Brasil
> Tel: +5511 81649946

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway