[R] Changing names of a string variable

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Tue Dec 7 20:31:02 CET 2010

Hello,

To do what you want, see ?toupper :

levels(dat$target) <- toupper(levels(dat$target))

However, for clarity,

dat$target is not a "string variable", it is a factor,
which you can verify with

 > str(dat)

Factors are enumerated types, and have a discrete
set of 'levels' associated with them,
which can be queried with the ?levels function.

'Behind the scenes', R is storing this variable
as numeric codes, not the character string associated
with each numeric code.

This contrasts with character vectors.

--Erik