[R] Time out for a R Function

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:32:02 CET 2010

> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 16:11:42 +1100
> From: michael.bedward at gmail.com
> To: santosh.srinivas at gmail.com; r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Time out for a R Function
>
> Below is a toy function with one way of doing it. There are bound to
> be better ways :)

This seems to just check total time on each iteration.
Presumably for this you would be better off setting an
ieration limit, not a timeout. A watchdog timer to insure
that pretend task doesn't hang would need another thread
and you would either need the target task to check
a shared variable that you set from the watchdog or
you just kill the target thread from watchdog but
this may be hard to do in a way that lets you continue
in any meaningful way.