[R] Optimize multiple variable sets

Jonathan P Daily jdaily at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 6 15:15:29 CET 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the minimal x value in your example the
same regardless of what positive coefficient you apply to x? If that is
the case, you would expect the same min(x) for each iteration.

i.e. in the interval [0,1] the minimum x value of x^2 + x is the same as
x^2 + 100000000*x, at x = 0.
Jonathan P. Daily
Technician - USGS Leetown Science Center
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville WV, 25430
(304) 724-4480
"Is the room still a room when its empty? Does the room,
 the thing itself have purpose? Or do we, what's the word... imbue it."
     - Jubal Early, Firefly