[R] Replacing a period in a string

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 05:22:07 CET 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:

> Hello I have a sting of the form "12.084.547,17" which I would like
> R to
> understand as a number which has "," as the decimal separator, does
> anybody
> know how to do this?

If that is in a file then read.csv2 is the answer.

If it is in a string within the R environment, then perhaps
read.csv2(file=textConnection(robject_name))

Please do read the Posting Guide and post reproducible examples (or at
least unambiguous descriptions of the problem).

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT