[R] Font family not found in Windows font database

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 1 20:38:28 CET 2010

Hi

On 2/12/2010 4:55 a.m., Mark Ebbert wrote:
> Dear R Gurus,
>
> I have a fairly simple problem, but I haven't been able to find the
> answer on 'the google' or in the r-help archives.
>
> I am generating plots on both Windows and OS X where I need to
> guarantee that the font used is Arial. In my plot command I specify
> 'fontfamily="Arial"'. The problem is that on Windows I'm getting the
> following warning: Warning message: In grid.Call.graphics("L_text",
> as.graphicsAnnot(x$label), x$x,  : Font family not found in Windows
> font database
>
> Here is my plot call. I have not included supporting code, as I don't
> believe it's necessary:
> graph<-barchart(3.7,xlim=c(0,10),main="",xlab="", aspect=.1,
> col=rgb(21,101,112,maxColorValue=255),scales=list(x=list(tick.number=10,tck=c(1,0),fontfamily="Arial",fontsize=10)),

panel=scorePnl,par.settings=theme.novpadding,lowCut=pgrLowCut,highCut=pgrHighCut)

> In my research I've found that the default for Windows is Arial
> anyway, but I should be able to specify the font without a warning. I
> further checked the available fonts in the windows font database by
> using 'windowsFonts()' and found an entry for 'TT Arial', however,
> specifying 'TT Arial' produces the same error.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

If you want to be sure of getting Arial, you could specify an explicit
Windows Font mapping, for example, ...

windowsFonts(Arial=windowsFont("TT Arial"))
barchart(1, scales=list(x=list(fontfamily="Arial")))

Paul

--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics