[R] missing values

Iasonas Lamprianou lamprianou at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 10:00:16 CET 2010

Dear all,
i have spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem, but I am sure that
there must be a simple solution. So, as a last resort, I am coming back to you
again. I have a dataset with some (almost random) values in many variables. Lets
say that the dataset represents the scores of students to test questions. What I
need to do is to sum the scores for each student. However, wherever there is a
missing (NA) value, I cannot get the total score.  How can I compute the total
score and the average per question (a) by ignoring the missing responses, (b) by
assuming that a missing response is a zero?
Thank you for the response

 Dr. Iasonas Lamprianou

Assistant Professor (Educational Research and Evaluation)
Department of Education Sciences
European University-Cyprus
P.O. Box 22006
1516 Nicosia