[R] simultaneous estimation

Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com
Tue Aug 31 18:32:59 CEST 2010

Bert,

I expect you are correct, burrito notwithstanding (wasn't Taco Bell, was it? :-)

The full model adds differences and lags, and incorporates non-zero covariances in the innovations. I only simplified to get an idea of how to implement in R.

For anyone interested, I'm looking at the Balvers and Wu (2006): "Momentum and Mean Reversion across National Equity Markets", Journal of Empirical Finance 13, 24-48.

Their model is as follows, with x(i, t) = log of stock index value of country i at time t:

x(i, t) = (1 - d(i)) * mu(i) + d(i) * x(i, t - 1) + Sum[rho(i, j) * (x(i, t - j) - x(t - j - 1))] + eps(i, t)

where Sum is across J periods, the d(i), mu(i) and rho(i, j) are all specific to each country (i), and the error terms eps(i) have some covariance structure.

You can see that the mu(i) term is supposed to capture the drift of the random walk component of stock index movement, the rho(i) is a coefficient for the momentum component, and the d(i) represents long temporary swings in the index.

But as there's now a large number of parameters to estimate, a simplifying assumption is that d and rho are common to all the countries, while the mu is specific.

Thanks,

Murali