[R] simultaneous estimation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 17:53:13 CEST 2010

On 31/08/2010 11:00 AM, David Winsemius wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:35 AM, <Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com> <Murali.Menon at avivainvestors.com
>  > wrote:
>
> > Hi Duncan,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> >
> > Indeed, independent normal errors were what I had in mind. As for
> > variances, if I assume they are the same, would a 'pooled model'
> > apply in this case? Is that equivalent to your suggestion of
> > concatenating x(1,t) and x(2,t)?
> >

> Wouldn't this be equivalent to a segmented regression analysis that
> would estimate the slopes in the two periods as mu(1) and mu(2), throw-
> away any level shift estimate at the join-point,  and which then
> estimated the residual one-lag autocorrelation (again omitting the
> join point) and assigned that value to "d"?

That is a different model.  In the given situation, successive
observations are correlated, so if x(1, t) had a large residual above
the line, x(1, t+1) would be expected to have a large residual as well,
and as long as |d-1| is less than 1, the given model would have zero
slope in the long run.

Duncan Murdoch