[R] Speeding up prediction of survival estimates when using `survifit'

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Aug 31 14:51:30 CEST 2010

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Ravi Varadhan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I fit a Cox PH model to estimate the cause-specific hazards (in a competing risks setting).  Then , I compute the survival estimates for all the individuals in my data set using the `survfit' function.  I am currently playing with a data set that has about 6000 observations and 12 covariates.  I am finding that the survfit function is very slow.
>
> Here is a simple simulation example (modified from Frank Harrell's example for `cph') that illustrates the problem:
>
> #n <- 500
> set.seed(4321)
>
> age <- 50 + 12*rnorm(n)
>
> sex <- factor(sample(c('Male','Female'), n, rep=TRUE, prob=c(.6, .4)))
>
> cens <- 5 * runif(n)
>
> h <- 0.02 * exp(0.04 * (age-50) + 0.8 * (sex=='Female'))
>
> dt <- -log(runif(n))/h
>
> e <- ifelse(dt <= cens, 1, 0)
>
> dt <- pmin(dt, cens)
>
> Srv <- Surv(dt, e)
>
> f <- coxph(Srv ~ age + sex, x=TRUE, y=TRUE)
>
> system.time(ans <- survfit(f, type="aalen", se.fit=FALSE, newdata=f$x))
>

> When I run the above code with sample sizes, n, taking on values of 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000, the time it takes for survfit to run are as follows:
>
> # n <- 500
>> system.time(ans <- survfit(f, type="aalen", se.fit=FALSE, newdata=f$x))
>   user  system elapsed
>   0.16    0.00    0.15
>

> # n <- 1000
>> system.time(ans <- survfit(f, type="aalen", se.fit=FALSE, newdata=f$x))
>   user  system elapsed
>   1.45    0.00    1.48
>

> # n <- 2000
>> system.time(ans <- survfit(f, type="aalen", se.fit=FALSE, newdata=f$x))
>   user  system elapsed
>  10.19    0.00   10.25
>

> # n <- 4000
>> system.time(ans <- survfit(f, type="aalen", se.fit=FALSE, newdata=f$x))
>   user  system elapsed
>  72.87    0.05   74.87
>

> I eventually want to use `survfit' on a data set with roughly 50K observations, which I am afraid is going to be painfully slow.  I would much appreciate hints/suggestions on how to make `survfit' faster or any other faster alternatives.

Ravi,

If you don't need standard errors/confidence limits, the rms package's
survest and related functions can speed things up greatly if you fit
the model using cph(...., surv=TRUE).  [cph calls coxph, and calls
survfit once to estimate the underlying survival curve].

Frank