[R] Saving plot to tiff, with high resolution for publication ?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 20:46:52 CEST 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Tal Galili wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> A Journal we are sending an article to is asking for the following:
>
> To ensure the best reproduction quality of your figures we would
> appreciate
> high resolution files. All figures should preferably be in TIFF or EPS
> format... and should have the following resolution: Graph: 800 -
> 1200 DPI
>
> Photo: 400 - 800 DPI
>
> Color (only CMYK): 300 - 400 DPI (DPI = dots per inch)
>
> Since I am sending a graph, I am trying to save it using tiff.
>
> Here is the code I am using:
>
> tiff(filename = "c:\\aaa.tiff",
>
>     res = 800, pointsize = 2)

?tiff

(Merely from reading the help pages... not claiming to be an expert in
graphics devices.) At the moment I suspect you are running into
problems because the default units for the height and width of the
tiff device is in pixels (="px") and the default size for each is 480.
The width in pixels is less than 800 so you need to get your 800 into
480 by dividing by 2.  Perhaps changing the units to "cm" or "in" and
then the using materially smaller sizes for height and width you can
get more satisfactory combinations of size and resolution.

(Of course, this does not apply to EPS since it is not a raster image
format. Either your publisher is confused on this point or you haven't
faithfully transmitted their message.)

--
David.