[R] Non-standard sorts on vectors

chipmaney chipmaney at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 23:59:56 CEST 2010

I have a dataset I need to sort:

test.df<-data.frame(Zone=c("Floodplain", "Lake",
"Shoreline"),Cover=c(50,60,70))

However, I don't want it sorted ascending/descending but in an order that I
define via a vector:

sort.v<-data.frame(c("Lake","Shoreline","Floodplain"))

I realize I could probably just create the vector of [factors] in the order
I want, then assign the value:

sort.v$Cover<-test.df$Cover

However, this is inefficient.  Is there source code or a syntactical trick
that will do the same more efficiently?  Note: I have investigated order()
and sort(), but neither seems to have an argument for defining the sorting
order.

Thanks in advance, Chipper