[R] reliability of R-Forge?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Aug 26 18:30:59 CEST 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 26 August 2010 at 11:28, R P Herrold wrote:

> | Is anyone aware of explanations, other than a release process
> | that does not require unique versioning of differing content?
> | [it seems pretty basic to me that a 'receiver' of new content
> | could do the checks I do, and decline to push conflicting
> | md5sums over an identically named prior candidate in archive]
>
> Version numbers change only when DESCRIPTION/Version gets updated.
>
> Content (of the tarball) and thusly md5sum changes whenever _any_ file
> in the archive changes.
>
> Methinks you tricked yourself into assuming tarballs have to be constant
> because they are on CRAN _where changes happen only with new releases_.

It is good to know that my tool was looking at the wrong
datum.  Thank you, Dirk.

I shall amend my tool.  Probably I'll add a 'unroller' and
diff tool so I may seem the changes pushing through

Doesn't this cause your builder some heartburn in Debian
package md5sum verification phase of autobuilding, or do you
simply auto-bump the release field within a version series?

-- Russ herrold