[R] OT: R for iPhone/iPad OS?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Aug 25 23:40:50 CEST 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> No, seriously:  I've had more than one person at work wonder what math toolset could be loaded onto iOS.   So, before Matlab, FreeMat, Mathematia, SciLab, Octave, or numpy (:-) ) produces a version for iPad, any chance someone is working on R for iPad?

See this coverage of recent discussions at R-Bloggers:

  http://www.r-bloggers.com/could-we-run-a-statistical-analysis-on-iphoneipad-using-r/

Unless you are willing to jailbreak the devices, the basic answer is not as a traditional stand alone application.

However, using a client/server model based GUI application (think Wolfram|Alpha) or via a web browser connecting to a remote R server, yes you can.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz