[R] R reports

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Aug 21 14:38:02 CEST 2010

Your notes are not well thought out.

You'll find that r-help is a friendly place for new users that do not
come in with an attitude.

I once used SAS (for 23 years) and know it very well.  I wrote the
first SAS procedures for a graphics device, percentiles,
logistic regression, and Cox regression.  Its reporting
for the first 30 years of SAS' existence was quite primitive, and
since then it is not what I'd call advanced and certainly not
esthetically pleasing.  Considering that SAS has had tens of billions
of $ at its disposal for research and development the result is quite
unimpressive.  Look at the fake PROC EXPORT if you want to get a real
laugh - it can't even put out valid csv files if there are any
unmatched quotes inside of character variable values.  It is not even
a procedure, just a front end to a trivial macro.

The "report" function you outlined is in many ways more primitive than
many functions already available in R.   See the summary.formula
function for example in the Hmisc package.  Among other things, some
of the functions give you flexibility in specifying the criteria by
which a variable is considered continuous vs. discrete numeric.  They
also allow you to override statistical tests to include in the table
with your own functions.  Now one of the functions even automatically
creates micrographics inside of table cells.

You are welcome to write any R functions you'd like.  The language for
doing so is richer than the SAS language by a significant margin.

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine