[R] Latex no where to be seen

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:22:54 CEST 2010

Philippe Grosjean wrote:
> On 20/08/10 09:11, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Donald Paul Winston
>> <satchwinston at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I'm experimenting using R as a report writer. I'm told LaTex is the
>>> destination for my quest. But ?latex() gives me an error. The package
>>>
>> Just as a side note, using ?foo() will always return an error.  If
>> there were a latex() function, you would drop the parentheses (i.e.,
>> ?latex   ) to bring up the documentation.
>>

> No, it does not. ? is the operator that has the top priority. So,
> something like:
>
> ?ls()
>
> brings you the help page for function 'ls'. That said, you are right
> that the correct syntax is:

It's actually slightly more complicated:  ?ls() really is parsed as ? of
ls(), not (?ls)().  The help system needs to know the arguments to
functions to know which help page to show you in the case of S4 methods.
One simple example is the following:

library(stats4)
example(mle)

Now ?summary will give you the base page, but ?summary(fit2) will give
you the stats4 page.

Duncan Murdoch