[R] which one give clear picture-pdf, jpg or tiff?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:30:05 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Cedric Laczny <cedric.laczny at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Rosalina,
>
> I created simple barplots with R and saved them as jpeg oder png. I wanted to
> use them in a LaTex-beamer presentation. The results were simply awful. They
> looked like if I had copied them out of some other document, thus "losing"
> most of the resolution.
> However, saving the plot as pdf and using this in the beamer-presentation
> worked like a charm and the resolution was super-sharp. This is probably the
> point that Tim Gruene highlighted directly at the beginning in his answer.
> Which format would be the best to integrate into Word? Unfortunately, I have
> no experience on that one.
> My suggestion would be to create a sample graph in either of the formats and
> see what they look like compared to each other. I mean, it's your document and
> it should be pleasant to you at first ;)
> If you should want to modify the plots later via some graphics-program (GIMP,
> Photoshop, you name it...), clearly pdfs are not widely, if they are at all,
> directly supported, so you must convert it to a different format like jpeg or
> png then...

This is a bit of a lengthy process, but when I need/want very high
quality jpeg, png, bitmap, or whatever graphics, I usually save them
from R as a PDF or postscript file, rasterize them in GIMP (free
answer to Photoshop) at the desired resolution, and finally choose the
desired format/compression (jpeg, png, bitmap, tiff, etc.) to save it
as from there.  I like this method because I have more control of
things like resolution, and compression from GIMP than I do from R,
and nice preview features and file size estimation make it easy to
balance that trade off.  That said, whenever possible I leave them as
PDFs.

> Best,
>
> Cedric
>
> On Friday, 20. August 2010 05:32:46 Roslina Zakaria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need some opinion.  I would like to use graph that I generate from R code
>> and save it into word document.  Which format is better? pdf, jpeg or
>> tiff?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Joshua Wiley