[R] which one give clear picture-pdf, jpg or tiff?

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Fri Aug 20 09:33:35 CEST 2010

Dear  ,

PDF format has the advantage that it is resolution independent (unless it
contains an embedded bitmap, but I guess for a graph from R it won't), so that's
one great advantage of pdf.

However, as far as I know, MS product are a little ignorant of PostScript and
PDF, and if that's the case for your system, jpeg is probably better.

tiff is not really an image format, it's a container (like avi for videos), so
it's up to the program to put inside whatever it wants. There used to be a
patent problem with lzw compression often used in tiff-files so that they were
unnecessarily large.

Tim