[R] Converting degree: minute: second data to decimal degree data, should be simple

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Aug 17 05:45:51 CEST 2010

I take it you have the data in character form.  If the DMS data is already in a data frame it is probably in factor form, so you will need to coerce it to character first.  Here is how you could do it with the DMS data in a data frame:

> m  ## an example with 3 entries
        DMS
1 122:45:45
2 122:45:45
3 122:45:45
> m <- within(m, {
+ dms <- do.call(rbind, strsplit(as.character(DMS), ":"))
+ dec <- as.numeric(dms[,1]) +
+   (as.numeric(dms[,2]) + as.numeric(dms[,3])/60)/60
+ rm(dms)
+ })
        DMS      dec
1 122:45:45 122.7625
2 122:45:45 122.7625
3 122:45:45 122.7625

m$dec is thhen the required decimal degrees.

Bill Venables.