[R] when to use textConnection ??

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Mon Aug 16 19:26:29 CEST 2010

Also, many R functions are designed to operate on R connections, to
input and output text. Alternatively, we may wish to provide the input
text as an R character vector, or output text to a character vector. The
textConnection makes a character vector look like a connection, so R
routines that operate on connections may also operate on character
vectors.

The textConnection also provides a mechanism for re-encoding text data,
although this may be more directly accomplished via the iconv function.
However, both methods are currently limited to encodings that do not
allow embedded null characters.

-Matt

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 13:06 -0400, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One useful case is when data is sent in an email.  For instance:
>
> T1   T2     T3
> -0.24 -0.26 -0.67
> -1.58  0.04  0.14
> -1.21  1.55 -0.45
> 0.31  0.48 -1.39
>
> One could read it in via
>
> con <- textConnection("
> T1   T2     T3
> -0.24 -0.26 -0.67
> -1.58  0.04  0.14
> -1.21  1.55 -0.45
> 0.31  0.48 -1.39")
>
> read.table(con, header = TRUE)
>
> Often a text file can be read in directly with read.table() and the
> appropriate delimiter (e.g., sep = "\t" for tab, "," for comma, etc.).
>  Do you have a particular problem you are trying to solve or an
> application of textConnection() you are interested in?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Josh
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM, skan <juanpide at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I don't uderstant when to use textConnection and when not.
> > Some examples do it, some not.
> > I've even seen something like
> >
> > con <- textConnection(rev(rev(ReadLines('data.txt'))[-(1:2]))
> > data <- read.table(con)
> > close(con)
> >
> > --

Matthew S. Shotwell
Graduate Student
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Medical University of South Carolina