[R] R with CouchDB?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 15:39:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM, David Mitchell <monch1962 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to go about extracting data from CouchDB databases, so
> that I can process it using R?  There don't seem to be any specific R
> modules for CouchDB, but I find it hard to believe that I'd be the first one
> to want to do this.

 CouchDB docs say it exposes a RESTful HTTP API, so you can access it
via the usual R http mechanisms and use the rjson package to decode
the return values.

 These kinds of unstructured DBs are tricky to write generic packages
for since at least with an RDBMS you know what you get back will look
a bit like a data frame.

Barry