[R] reading a text file, one line at a time

Data Analytics Corp. walt at dataanalyticscorp.com
Sun Aug 15 16:58:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have an upcoming project that will involve a large text file.  I want to

   1. read the file into R one line at a time
   2. do some string manipulations on the line
   3. write the line to another text file.

I can handle the last two parts.  Scan and read.table seem to read the
whole file in at once.  Since this is a very large file (several hundred
thousand lines), this is not practical.  Hence the idea of reading one
line at at time.  The question is, can R read one line at a time?  If
so, how?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Walt

________________________

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.