[R] Learning ANOVA

JesperHybel jesperhybel at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 09:38:00 CEST 2010

how to plot 4 graphs simultaneously?

Depends on what graphs were talking about: A Side-by-side boxplot containing
fx 4 boxplots can be generated by a single plot() command. However often you
use a primary command that activivates
the plot window and plots one graph, then afterwards you use secondary
commands to add new graphical objects to the same graph/window:

x<-c(1,2,3,4)
y<-c(1,2,3,4)
plot(x,y) #primary graphical command activates plot window
abline(-1,3) # adds line
points(c(1,2),c(2,2),col="red",pch=16) #adds points

Also how to save InsectSprays.aov?  I think I can only save it as
InsectSprays.csv.  I can't find "write.aov" command.

"InsectSprays.aov" is an object - in this case probably a list. If you make
an assignment using
the assignment operator '<-' to an object not already existing in you're
current work session
R will create that object.
Or to put it differently: "InsectSprays.aov" is only a name you might as
well have called it
"HomeGrownMagic" or "McDonalds" - the "aov" in the name is not to be
mistaken for a file
extension. The name only surves the purpose to remind you what it is a
container of namely
an ANOVA output of the variables Insect and Spray, that helps you not youre
computer.

There are different ways to save: You can store the whole worksession,
thereby storing all the
objects you have created during worksession and have not removed. Or you can
sink particular objects

I recommend that you have a look at:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Verzani-SimpleR.pdf

Very well written, want tell you all you want to know but will not drown you
in computer lingo
and tie you down with details. Gives you some hands on experience handling
the most basic plots
and objects in R. If you later want to buy Verzanis book grown from the
freely available notes you
go wrong there either, basically more of the same.