[R] R execution

chantalm chantalm at u.washington.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:57:42 CEST 2010

So I have a for loop

for (i in 1 : 5) {
print(i)
}

and I want it to print 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 sequentially for each loop iteration.
Instead, it waits for the whole loop to finish and then prints. It's strange
because my R console seems to have two modes of execution. One where it will
iterate for each loop and print the message (and where I can easily abort an
R program with the escape key), and another mode where it doesn't print for
each loop iteration/just keeps executing even if I press escape key. I can't
figure out how to enable the first way of execution! Can someone shed some
light on this matter?