[R] How to compare the effect of a variable across regression models?

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 13 15:50:18 CEST 2010

David,

In the Cox and many other regression models, the effect of a variable
is context-dependent.  There is an identifiability problem in what you
are doing, as discussed by

@ARTICLE{for95mod,
   author = {Ford, Ian and Norrie, John and Ahmadi, Susan},
   year = 1995,
   title = {Model inconsistency, illustrated by the {Cox} proportional
hazards
           model},
   journal = Stat in Med,
   volume = 14,
   pages = {735-746},
   annote = {covariable adjustment; adjusted estimates; baseline
imbalances;
            RCT; model misspecification; model identification}
}

One possible remedy, which may not work for your goals, is to embed
all models in a grand model that is used for inference.

When coefficients ARE comparable in some sense, you can use the
bootstrap to get confidence bands for differences in regressor effects
between models.

Frank

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine