[R] cacheSweave / pgfSweave driver for package vignette

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:10:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've been meaning to ask the same question before.

Le 13/08/10 11:01, baptiste auguie a écrit :

> Dear list,
>

> I wish to use a specific driver to process an sweave document in the
> inst/doc directory of a package. Specifically, I would like to use
> either cacheSweave or pgfSweave to speed up the creation of the
> vignette which requires lengthy computations. The same request would
> also apply to the highlight driver, to provide syntax highlighting of
> R chunks.
>
> In "writing R extensions" I see that during R CMD BUILD Sweave is run
> first, then optionally a makefile can be used to process any other
> files. It doesn't seem to leave room for a choice of Sweave engine, as
> far as I understand. One option I am thinking of is to change the
> extension of the source file to something like .Rnw2 so that Sweave
> ignores it altogether, and then use the appropriate command in a
> makefile.

This is what we do in Rcpp to build our 7 vignettes (since we like to
use the driver from highlight).

One thing to have in mind is that R needs the .Rnw file to be present in
doc once the package is installed, so that the vignette function works,
hence some trickery in Rcpp.

A way to control which sweave (and perhaps tangle) driver is to be used
for a particular vignette would be very useful.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast