[R] Error: the leading minor of order 6 is not positive definite

stompper33 ascalderon03 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 22:57:27 CEST 2010

Hey guys,

I'm trying to run a Canonical Correlation Analysis (CCA) between two data
sets. But for my case I am dealing with data sets(which are stored as two
matrices X and Y) in which the number of experimental units is greater than
the number of variables, so I want to use a sample from my "mothdata" data
set which I store in a matrix called "Yr". I am using the cc() function.
Here is my R code:

> Yr <- as.matrix(mothdata[, sample(1:422, size = 10)])
> res.cc <- cc(Yr, X)

But I am getting this error:

Error in chol.default(Cmat) :
  the leading minor of order 6 is not positive definite

I'm not sure what exactly this error means. Can someone help me understand
the error or give me advice on how to correct it.