[R] optimization subject to constraints

Gildas Mazo gildas.mazo at curie.fr
Tue Aug 10 14:59:54 CEST 2010

Thanks, but I still cannot get to solve my problem: consider this simple
example:

########

f <- function(x){
  return(x[1]+x[2])
} # objective function

g <- function(x){
  return(x[1]^2+x[2]^2)
} # constraint

#########

I wanna Maximize f(x) subject to g(x) = 1. By hand the solution is
(1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2), sqrt(2)). This is to maximizing a linear function
subject to a nonlinear equality constraint.  I didn't find any suitable
function in the packages I went through.

Thanks in advance,

Gildas