[R] Identification of Outliners and Extraction of Samples

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Aug 10 00:47:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Alexander Eggel wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I need to know which samples (S1-S6) contain a value that is bigger than the
> median + five standard deviations of the column he is in. This is just an

Why not the 70th percentile plus 6 times the difference in the 85th
and 75th percentiles  :-)

Frank

P.S.  See

@Article{fin06cal,
   author = 		 {Finney, David J.},
   title = 		 {Calibration guidelines challenge outlier
practices},
   journal = 	 The American Statistician,
   year = 		 2006,
   volume =		 60,
   pages =		 {309-313},
   annote =		 {anticoagulant
therapy;bias;causation;ethics;objectivity;outliers;guidelines for
treatment of outliers;overview of types of outliers;letter to the
editor and reply 61:187 May 2007}
}