[R] Changing downloaded source code into a package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:36:25 CEST 2010

On 09/08/2010 10:22 AM, JH wrote:
> I am wanting to change some lines of code in the R package named "nlme"
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlme/index.html

That is usually a bad idea.  If you have found a bug in the package, let
the maintainers know about it.  If you want to add to it, write your own
package that makes use of nlme.

If you start editing the package yourself, then quickly you'll end up
being cut off from bug fixes and enhancements when the next version
comes out.

For instructions on installing a source package, see the Writing R
Extensions manual.

Duncan Murdoch