[R] package names in Latex

Arnaud Le Rouzic Arnaud.Le-Rouzic at legs.cnrs-gif.fr
Mon Aug 9 16:45:52 CEST 2010

> When putting R package names in Latex, do we use \it or \em, please?

As far as I know, the only difference between \it and \em is that \em
words are unitalicized in an italics portion of the text, which is
desirable in most cases.

However, I am not sure that italics is the most common solution, perhaps
because it is really important for a package name to be very easy to
read and spell even if the name is a meaningless sequence of letters,
which is not always the case in italics. In some R manuals (such as the
"Short Introduction to R"), package names are boldfaced. Personally, I
tend to type them in TT font, as if they were function names. I guess
all solutions are OK if they are used consistently throughout the document.

Arnaud.