[R] Is R GPL or LGPL (or can I write a commercial front end to R)?

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Fri Aug 6 17:56:21 CEST 2010

Tom,

I would strongly echo the advice of Duncan and Marc and others already
on this thread to seek expert legal advice on this issue. At
Revolution we rely on the expertise of Mark Radcliffe, the General
Legal Counsel of the Open Source Initiative. (Additional information
here: http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/downloads/gpl-sources.php .)
Because GPL issues draw on aspects of copyright law, contract law, and
other legal domains (that can also vary by jurisdiction), legal advice
with expertise in all the relevant areas is essential.

Hope this helps,
# David Smith

--
David M Smith <david at revolutionanalytics.com>