[R] French accents on characters

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:56:10 CEST 2010

On 04/08/2010 3:40 PM, Jennifer Young wrote:
> Hello
>
> Could someone please direct me to the correct commands for adding accents
> (grave and aigu) to a letter in a plot title, label, or in added text? I'm
> sure there's a handy list somewhere, but I've failed in coming up with the
> correct search words to find it.

You may have trouble with particular graphics devices not supporting the
fonts, but if you just enter text containing accents, you should see
them.  For example,

plot(1, main="La probabilité est façile")

If your keyboard doesn't have accents you can enter accented characters
using Unicode strings, e.g. the same result as above comes from

plot(1, main="La probabilit\uE9 est fa\uE7ile")

(You can use \u{E9} instead of \uE9 if it is ambiguous where the
character ends.)

Duncan Murdoch