[R] does R have a command the same with Stata's loop command: ` '

Hey Sky heyskywalker at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 02:29:31 CEST 2010

hey, Rers

in Stata therer is a loop command ` ' which could do the following:

forvalue i=1/10 {
 gen x`i'=expression
}

this will generate variable: x1,x2,,,,,x10. so, does R have a corresponding one
to this?

And one more very basic question: after I open a file and modify it, such as
generate some new variables and change some old ones, how to use the changed
dataset in analysis, except the method save and reload it?

I have tried but did not get the right thing done:
mydata<-read(flie=".....")
detach()
attach(names of my data set)

any answer are appreciated.