[R] how to read/save .zip compressed files from R?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 00:33:28 CEST 2010

Quoting Erik Iverson <eriki at ccbr.umn.edu>:

> J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk wrote:
>> Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:
>>
>>> See also Omegahat package Rcompression (a copy of which for Windows is
>>> on CRANextras).
>>

>> Thank you, I will look into that.
>>

>>> But I would do this via unzip, modify, zip
>>

>> once or even 10 times, yes. After that it gets boring :)
>> I'd like to use it to batch-correct a series of .zip files that all
>>  contain one single wrong file inside.
>
> I believe Dr. Ripley was suggesting calling zip and unzip utilities
> through, say, the ?system function in R, as opposed to relying on R
> packages/functions to perform these compression tasks on their own.

I just found out I can use 7-zip in command line form so... indeed
using a system() call would be the simplest way.
Example of not seeing the forest for the trees... ah!

thanks!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6507095
Alternative email: nach.mcnach at gmail.com