[R] Problems with normality req. for ANOVA

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:20:11 CEST 2010

On Aug 3, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I would say both Bert and I encounter "designed
> experiments" a lot more than "observational studies", yet we speak from
> experience that those things that Bert mentioned happen on a daily
> basis.  When you talk to experimenters, ask your questions carefully and
> you'll see these things crop up.

Yes. I think the most egregious example I have seen involved getting an F test wrong by a factor of 7. This sort of error comes about extremely easily if you divide by the wrong sum of squares in an ANOVA table, and since it often requires dealing with difficult terms like "random interaction", researchers are typically much more prone to collect data in complicated designs than they are to analyze them correctly afterwards.

However, it obviously depends on your perspective,  epidemiologists usually have different complications from econometricians, and a clinical trial is typically less complicated than a lab experiment.