[R] Collinearity in Moderated Multiple Regression

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 15:42:13 CEST 2010

I think you are attributing to "collinearity" a problem that is due to
your small sample size. You are predicting 9 points with 3 predictor
terms, and incorrectly concluding that there is some  "inconsistency"
because you get an R^2 that is above some number you deem surprising.
(I got values between 0.2 and 0.4 on several runs.

Try:
  x1 <- rnorm(100)
  x2 <- rnorm(100)
  x3 <- x1*x2