[R] Upgrade process for libraries: can I use installed.packages on an old installation followed by install.packages in a new one

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Apr 30 20:04:25 CEST 2010

There exists a set of batchfiles for windows (they have been mentioned several times on this list before, searching the archives should give you their location) that will move or copy the installed packages from the folder for an old R installation to the folder for your new installation without overwriting the packages already present in the new installation.

You can then use update.packages (with the checkbuilt or similar argument set to TRUE) in the new installation to make sure that you have compatible versions of the packages.

This is probably the easiest/fastest solution for windows.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org