[R] Curve Fitting/Regression with Multiple Observations

Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim kyeongsoo.kim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:09:37 CEST 2010

Dear Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion and taking your time to respond to it.

But, you misunderstand something and seems that you do not read all my
previous e-mails.
For instance, can a hand-drawing curve give you an inverse function
(analytically or numerically) so that you can find an x value given
the y value (not just for one, but for hundreds of points)?

As for the statistical inferences, I admit that my communications were
not that very clear. My intention is to get a smoothed curve from the
simulation data in a statistically meaningful way as much as possible
for my intended use of the resulting curve.

As said before, I don't know all the thorough theoretical details
behind regression and curve fitting functions available in R (know the
basics though as one with PhD in Elec. Eng. unlike someone's
assessment), but am doing my best to catch up reading textbooks and
manuals, and posting this question to this list is definitely a way to
learn from many experts and advanced users of R.

By the way, I wonder why most of the responses I've received from this
list are so cynical (or skeptical?) and in some sense done in a quite
arrogant way. It's very hard to imagine that one would receive such
communications/networking. If a newbie asks a question to the list not
making much sense or another FAQ, that is usually ignored (i.e., no
response) because all we are too busy to deal with that. Sometimes,
though, a kind soul (like Gabor) takes his/her own valuable time and
doesn't mind explaining all the details from simple basics.

Again, what I want to hear from the list is the proper use of
regression/curve fitting functions of R for my simulation data with
replications: Applying after taking means or directly on them? So far
I haven't heard anyone even specifically touching my question,
although there were several seemingly related suggestions.

Regards,
Joseph