[R] X11() device widht and height parameters limited to one screen

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 11:09:47 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Florian Burkart
<florian.burkart at whu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I specify the width and height of a plot I want to see via
>
>> X11(width=14,height=7)
>> X11(width=28,height=14)
>> X11(width=20,height=14)
>> X11(width=13,height=14)
>> X11(width=15,height=14)
>
> any width greater than 15 is ignored as it seems the width is limited by the
> screen width.
>
> However, as I am using two screens (xinerama), I can easily manually resize
> to fit two screens.
>
> Is there a way to get it to be wider than one screen width via the X11 call?
> Is there something else I am doing wrong?

 help(X11) says:

     The initial size and position are only hints, and may not be acted
     on by the window manager.  Also, some systems (especially laptops)
     are set up to appear to have a screen of a different size to the
     physical screen.

 so the chances are it's your window manager overriding the hints.

 I had a similar problem yesterday with my Ubuntu Karmic Koala
dual-screen box (you didn't say what OS exactly you've got). Trying to
resize an OpenOffice Draw window over both screens was a pain, it kept
snapping back to one screen. I could make it larger than one screen by
slowly moving and resizing it a bit at a time, but one false move..
and SNAP! Back to one screen. Grr.

 See if you have similar problem resizing other applications, and then
check your window manager settings. Somewhere in the nest of my Compiz
Config Manager, amongst the 3d desktop cube, wobbling windows, and
rain-on-my-screen effects, is something that is snapping away at me.

Barry