[R] randomness in stepclass (klaR) or lda (MASS) ?

Eric Elguero Eric.Elguero at mpl.ird.fr
Thu Apr 29 16:04:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 15:08 +0200, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Well, it is called cross validation which is based on random sampling if
> you do not have k=n -fold CV (=leave-one-out).
> Again, to get reproducible results, you will need to set a seed.

thank you. I thought that "leave-one-out" was the default.

I looked at the reference file and I am not sure how to get it.

Is that by setting fold=1 ?

> If the results are that unstable: Do you really have a sufficient number
> of observations for your classification problem?

you're probably right.

e.e.

Eric Elguero
Laboratory Genetics and Evolution of Infectious Diseases,
Team: Genetics and Adaptation of Plasmodium
UMR 2724 CNRS-IRD,
IRD Montpellier,
911 Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501,
34394 Montpellier Cedex 5,