[R] What is the best way to plots surfaces in 3 dimensions?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:12:40 CEST 2010

On 28/04/2010 4:27 AM, Andrea Bernasconi DG wrote:
> Hi R help,
>
> What is the best way to plots surfaces in 3 dimensions?

That depends a lot on what the surface is like, and what you are
intending to do with the plot. Possible functions include persp,
contour, wireframe, persp3d, etc.
> I also have the following availability problem with "plot3d" and "scatterplot3d", and "wireframe":
>
> install.packages("scatterplot3d")
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.10
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>  package ‘scatterplot3d’ is not available

This is likely related to the temporary power problems in Vienna. Some
mirrors were also affected by them, because of dependencies on the CRAN
master.
> install.packages("plot3d")
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.ch.r-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.10
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>  package ‘plot3d’ is not available

I don't know of a plot3d package. There's a plot3d function in rgl, and
a plot3D function in compositions.
> wireframe(volcano, shade = TRUE,
> +           aspect = c(61/87, 0.4),
> +           light.source = c(10,0,10))
> Error: could not find function "wireframe"

The wireframe function is in the lattice package, so you need

library(lattice)

first. (The persp3d function is in rgl.)

Duncan Murdoch