[R] TikzDevice and texi2dvi

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Apr 28 00:22:25 CEST 2010

Lorenzo Isella wrote:

> I think I solved my problems by resorting to the Ubuntu packages at
>
> http://bit.ly/c8izKy
>
> Cheers
>
> Lorenzo
>

> Dear All,
> I am starting to use the tikzDevice package, but I am experiencing some
> (minor problems).
> If I try to run the script at the end of the email, I get the following
> error
>

> Error in tools::texi2dvi("normal.tex", pdf = T) :
>   Running 'texi2dvi' on 'normal.tex' failed.
> Messages:
> sh: /usr/bin/texi2dvi: not found
>
> How do I install the missing texi2dvi?
>
> I found some reference to it at
> http://bit.ly/bSYbxk
> but I have not understood well whether it is should already be part of
> my R base installation or not.
> I am running R 2.11 on Ubuntu 9.10.
> Many thanks
>
> Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

It appears you are missing the texi2dvi program- this is a tool provided by
TeX or TeXinfo distributions, not R or tikzDevice.

In order to use the tikzDevice, you will need to install a TeX distribution
on your machine.  As you are running Linux, I highly recommend the TeXlive
distribution, which you can get from:

  http://www.tug.org/texlive/

I recommend using the net installer at:

  http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

I would advise this over Debian packages, as it has been my experience that
the packages can be horribly out of data- for example the Ubuntu package
repository lists a build based on TeXlive 2007 as being available for 9.10.

The tikzDevice requires PGF/TikZ 2.00 to function properly which in turn
requires TeXlive 2008 or later.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University