[R] Curve Fitting/Regression with Multiple Observations

Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim kyeongsoo.kim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:32:48 CEST 2010

Frankly speaking, I am not looking for such a framework.

The system I'm studying is a communication network (like M/M/1 queue,
but way too complicated to mathematically analyze it using classical
queueing theory) and the conclusion I want to make is qualitative
rather than quantatitive -- a high-level comparative study of various
network architectures based on the "equivalence principle" (a concept
specific to netwokring, not in the general sense).

What l want in this regard is a smooth, non-decreasing (hence
one-to-one) function built out of simulation data because later in my
processing, I need an inverse function of the said curve to find out
an x value given the y value. That was, in fact, the reason I used the
exponential (i.e., non-decreasing function) curve fiting.

Even though I don't need a statistical inference framework for my
work, I want to make sure that my use of regression/curve fitting
techniques with my simulation data (as a tool for getting the
mentioned curve) is proper and a usual practice among experts like
you.

To get answer to my question, I digged a lot through the Internet but
found no clear explanation so far.

Your suggestions and providing examples (always!) are much
appreciated, but I am still not sure the use of those regression
procedures with the kind of data I described is a right way to do.

Again, many thanks for your prompt and kind answers,
Joseph

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are looking for a framework for statistical inference you could
> look at additive models as in the mgcv package which has  a book
> associated with it if you need more info. e.g.
>
> library(mgcv)
> fm <- gam(dist ~ s(speed), data = cars)
> summary(fm)
> plot(dist ~ speed, cars, pch = 20)
> fm.ci <- with(predict(fm, se = TRUE), cbind(0, -2*se.fit, 2*se.fit) + c(fit))
> matlines(cars$speed, fm.ci, lty = c(1, 2, 2), col = c(1, 2, 2))
>

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim
> <kyeongsoo.kim at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Gabor,
>>
>> Many thanks for providing actual examples for the problem!
>>
>> In fact I know how to apply and generate plots using various R
>> functions including loess, lowess, and smooth.spline procedures.
>>
>> My question, however, is whether applying those procedures directly on
>> the data with multiple observations/duplicate points(?) is on the
>> sound basis or not.
>>
>> Before asking my question to the list, I checked smooth.spline manual
>> pages and found the mentioning of "cv" option related with duplicate
>> points, but I'm not sure "duplicate points" in the manual has the same
>> meaning as "multiple observations" in my case. To me, the manual seems
>> a bit unclear in this regard.
>>
>> Looking at "car" data, I found it has multiple points with the same
>> "speed" but different "dist", which is exactly what I mean by multiple
>> observations, but am still not sure.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joseph
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
>> <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This will compute a loess curve and plot it:
>>>
>>> example(loess)
>>> plot(dist ~ speed, cars, pch = 20)