[R] Question according on new package installation test in R 2.11

Jochen Knaus jo at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Apr 27 16:32:38 CEST 2010

Hi all,

the package load test in R 2.11.0 is nice, but not disablable with
function install.packages().

This is a problem for me, as I install many (>100) global packages with
an R script as root in a multiuser environment for each new R version on
the machines in our institute.

As root is not allowed to start several services, so several packages
cannot be loaded correctly as root itself (e.g. "Rmpi" installs
correctly, but cannot be loaded as root, as root is not allowed to start
a cluster). This would not be dramatic if there would not been a
"00LOCK" folder left in the site-dir afterwards preventing further
packages to install and has to be removed manually.

On the command line the "R CMD INSTALL" script has an option
"--no-test-load", which disables the feature of testing (but is using
the internal function "tools:::.install_packages" for installing
packages). It seems this behavior is not accessible through the function
"install.packages", as this functions API didn't change and in the
depending R source nothing is found.

Is there a way to disable the new load-test with an "install.packages"
call or another way around the problem? Or a method which does at least
not produce that 00LOCK file?

Thanks, Jo